Any advice on a better way of doing this?

General craft topics. Talk about your craft projects, ideas, get help or inspiration.

Any advice on a better way of doing this?

Postby murn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:40 pm

I hope some of you very knowledgeable Trimmies can help with advice.

I like the shape of side-stepper cards and I like the security of easel cards for staying in place well. However I have found that side-stepper cards can sometimes "loosen" when they are on display or handled and sometimes need to be pushed a little to put them back into shape. I have just uploaded a card to the gallery which I have called "side stepper easel?". Don't know if this style has ever been made before and if it has, what it is called. I was pleased with the finished card apart from one thing. To close it so that it fits into the box, it does not slide forward like a normal easel, but I have to fold the base back under.

Has this shape of card been made before and if so, how does it fold for fitting into shallow box?
Marion
murn

Re: Any advice on a better way of doing this?

Postby craftysandra » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:01 pm

Had a look your card is stunning but sorry i cant help with your problem.

Sandra
Keep grinning!
craftysandra
Trimcraft Moderator

Postby jjuli2 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:24 pm

I've seen this shape card before, does the base not just go over the top iykwim?
Your card is absolutely beautiful xx
jjuli2

Postby murn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Sandra - Thank you for taking the time to respond and for your comment.

Julie - Thanks for your suggestion. I've tried what you suggest but if I bring the base over the top of the front (coming up from the front) then it will not fold properly as the bulk made by the folded steps stop the card folding on the scored bit on base. Also even if it would fold this way, what would be displayed in the box is the back of the card.

The way I am folding it, by folding the base backwards, the whole of the stepper sections is still displayed.

Maybe there is something wrong in the design I have made. I did not use a template as I've never seen this type of card before.

Anyone else any suggestions?
Marion
murn

Postby jjuli2 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:48 pm

There's nothing wrong with the design at all. I think you should just fold it the way you have as at least you can see some of the fab design that way. The most important thing is that the recipients know how it should stand, so the easier you can fold it, the easier it will be for them to stand it up. xx
jjuli2

Postby ceej2 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:07 pm

I made something similar for someone a while back and encountered the same problem.I ended up making a slightly deeper box than I otherwise would have and this allowed (as you have done) for the entire stepper to remain on display in the box. When the box was open it simply took a slight movement to secure the easel in place.

When I did the rocker stepper card I made a central band from the same heavyweight card with triangle folded end pieces which acted as an easel rest for the front of the card and kept the whole thing in perfect shape but allowed it to go flat in an expand-alope I made for it.

Your card is gorgeous btw.
ceej2

Postby Eiglas 1 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:17 pm

I fold mine back up the back. I make my boxes to fit my cards so not sure about yourbox query.
Hugs
Ei
x
Eiglas 1

Postby Nannybroomsticks » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:31 pm

The card is really lovely. i also wondered whether a deeper box might do the trick?
I really appreciate all your lovely comments on my projects. Your feedback is important to me.
Nannybroomsticks

Postby murn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Eiglas 1 wrote:I fold mine back up the back. I make my boxes to fit my cards so not sure about yourbox query.
Hugs
Ei
x

Thanks for taking the time to respond Eileen. I make my boxes to fit the cards as well but I did not want to make a box for the card standing up. Wanted to fold it flat to fit in a 2 cm or 2.5 cm deep box, which it does when I fold the base up the back. Just wondered if this was the best way or if someone had a better suggestion. If you fold yours up the back too, I assume this is how it's supposed to be then. Just didn't want to give someone something which was weird.
Marion
murn

Return to General Crafting Chat Forum