Substitute for Alcohol ink blender, and other moneysavers

General craft topics. Talk about your craft projects, ideas, get help or inspiration.

Substitute for Alcohol ink blender, and other moneysavers

Postby silverwolf » Sun May 03, 2009 10:35 am

Hi folks, I was browsing the forum, and saw an old post about this, but nothing recent, and no-one was sure about what to use. When I bought (yet another) bottle of blender recently, it had a sticker on the side saying 'ethanol,alcohol'. I was sure this was what is commonly known as rubbing alcohol, so did a search. I found on a number of American sites people saying they used 70% rubbing alcohol as a substitute for the (very expensive) blender. I found an online supplier, on e-bay - READY REAGENTS ONLINE-where I paid about £4.50, including postage, for a 500ml bottle. When you consider we pay about £4.70 for a 57ml bottle, thats a BIG difference. If you go to e-bay and search for 70% rubbing alcohol, there are a lot of suppliers, and a lot of choice of sizes, from about 250ml, to 5 litres or more!They also delivered superfast, I ordered it on a Thursday afternoon, and it was delivered on the Friday morning.I am currently using a small bottle with a fine tip intended for using with glue for my rubbing alcohol, but I discovered that the nozzle bit of the 'proper' blender pulls out, so when its empty you could use that.
Also, there is a collection of Inks from Kuretake, available from the Artistic Stamper, they are exactly like Alcohol ink, but come in a bottle 60% bigger than the Ranger alcohol inks. Theres a nice colour range too, and they also work with the rubbing alcohol, and mix with the Ranger inks. BTW, there is a slightly stronger smell to the rubbing alcohol than to the blender, so a well ventilated place is good. One last moneysaver, Craft Creations do 250gsm Glossy card, at 48p a sheet, which sounds a lot, but this sheet is the equivalent of 4 A4 sheets. They will cut it into A3,A4 or A5 for you at no extra cost, and you get discounts for buying 5,10,25 etc. I bought some last week, and spent yesterday playing with them, and the Kuretake inks, and they are perfect.
http://silverwolfcards-shaz.blogspot.com/[b][/b]
Thousands of years ago, Cats were worshipped as Gods.
Cats have never forgotten this.
silverwolf

Re: Substitute for Alcohol ink blender, and other moneysavers

Postby silverwolf » Sun May 03, 2009 11:02 am

Also meant to say that I've used glossy photo paper,even the ones from poundshops, and got perfect results. You can't apply heat to photo paper, as it causes the surface to bubble, but if you don't want to emboss on it, its fine. Never discard any piece you've made, often a few days later, you have a different opinion, and sometimes a piece doesn't do anything for you, until you've stamped on it- then it becomes stunning! And lastly(!) you know when you've created an absolutely stunning piece of inked paper? One you love, and know you'll never be able to recreate it exactly the same? If you have a scanner, scan it into your PC, and then print it out on glossy paper- comes out looking the same as your original, and if you play with the settings on your scanner, you can do all sorts of alterations to the tone, colours etc. I know the beauty of this is that every piece is different, but just occasionally you get one that you'd love to be able to do again.
silverwolf

Postby silverwolf » Sun May 03, 2009 11:13 am

Just noticed that there is a tips and tricks section, sorry.Can I ask a mod to move this post to there, as thats probably where I should have posted these. Thanks
silverwolf

Postby MayJay » Sun May 03, 2009 5:05 pm

I also use the Kure take inks. Mine are labelled Zig Kurecolor ink refils.i am sure its the same product. I have been told 99% surgical spirit also works and am going to see if my local pharmacy stocks it, or the rubbing alcohol. The ranger one is a rip off, its drop for drop much more expensive than drinking alcohol, and is bound to be a lot cheaper to produce.
I often use left over photopaper with alcohol inks. You can use heat embossing with it but it works best if you hold the gun a bit further away from the paper and heat from underneath. if you do it gently it works fine. Its worth a practice try, perhaps with a waste piece. the Kurecolor inks are very different shades to the ranger ones and they do work very well with them.
Trimcraft General All Round Crafter 2008
http://mayjaysmeanderings.blogspot.com
MayJay

Postby Larrie » Sun May 03, 2009 5:13 pm

This is what I love about this forum, and why I joined it, people play around with stuff and make discoveries that can be passed on to others. I love to pass on these hints and tips to my customers and they think, we have real clever staff :lol: :lol: Though most of the time I do say where I got the tip from. Thank you.
Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to view my work, please know how grateful I am that you like it, even if I don’t always manage to thank you in person.

To see past hosted technique swaps
http://photobucket.com/larries-loft
Larrie

Postby silverwolf » Sun May 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Yes,mine are called Zig Kurecolor refils also, sorry should have said that.I tried my local chemists for rubbing alcohol, and got blank looks!Someone said its used by hairdressers & Tatooists for cleaning/sterilising, maybe the Sallys chain of hairdressers suppliers have it.
silverwolf

Postby FlissyG » Mon May 04, 2009 10:41 am

Thanks for sharing all these great tips. I'll definitely be giving them a go when I run out of blending solution as it's great to be able to save such a lot of money. Useful at the moment particularly, and I'm also trying to recycle as much as possible and can recommend a stash sort out to find things you'd forgotten about-in my case lots of things!

Fliss xx
art- the use of skill and imagination to produce things of beauty, but mostly a happy accident

http://stamperschef.blogspot.com/
http://www.hobbyartstamps.com/unmounted ... at_41.html
FlissyG

Postby Kajo » Mon May 04, 2009 10:53 am

If it works well enough for you that's great, but I checked this out some time ago and the proper blending solution is different from the standard rubbing alcohol, white spirit type products as it's a resin based alcohol solution which makes the ink colours float as it were. The standard ethanol based liquids don't have the same "floating" quality so they really don't allow the colours to blend in the same way. I tried this ages ago, as you do (!) but I really didn't like the results as the ink colours just sort of sat there, flat. I enquired as to what was the difference and it is to do with the resin base. Although it's not cheap, it lasts for absolutely ages as you don't need much and what I do is to use the "real McCoy" with my inks and then clean up my craft sheet (and me!) with ordinary rubbing alcohol.
Photo papers are very variable, so some will and some won't work with the inks. The inks will go gloopy on some of them and sort of stringy almost. It's a case of trial and error. Photo papers don't work for resist stamping either. I buy cheap ones and try them out small scraps with various techniques and then I put a label on the pack to remind me which things they will or won't work with. Good gloss card is often hard to find though, as some of it is very inferior, so thanks for the tip on the larger sized sheets. Karen
Kajo

Return to General Crafting Chat Forum